At T2 Biosystems, our mission is to save lives and improve healthcare by empowering clinicians to effectively treat patients faster than ever before.
Our proven T2 Magnetic Resonance (T2MR®) technology is transforming diagnostics by providing accurate and actionable information to doctors when it matters most. Today, T2 tests are improving the quality of care and savings hospitals millions of dollars each year with the T2Sepsis SolutionTM. The FDA-cleared T2Dx® Instrument and the T2Candida® Panel is available in over 130 hospitals and our European presence now includes 10 countries. In addition, the T2Bacteria® Panel is now CE Marked and available for research use only in the US.
At T2 Biosystems, we focus on critical unmet needs in healthcare diagnostics, choosing targets based on the prevalence and frequency of ineffective treatment due to shortcomings in current diagnostics. This approach made sepsis, one of the deadliest and the most expensive conditions in hospitals today, a natural first choice.
The T2Sepsis Solution is a unique approach that combines the standard of care for the management of sepsis patients with the T2Dx Instrument, T2Candida Panel, and the T2Bacteria Panel, which is commercially available in Europe and other countries that accept the CE Mark and available for research use only in the U.S. The T2Sepsis Solution starts with the T2Candida Panel that runs on the T2Dx® Instrument and can detect the five most clinically relevant species of Candida in 3 to 5 hours—directly from the patient’s blood and without the need for blood culture. The sepsis-causing pathogen Candida has a staggering average mortality rate of approximately 40%.1 Today, hospitals like Henry Ford Health System in Michigan2 and Lee Health System in Florida,3 both of which use T2 tests, are reporting that patients are getting on the right therapy—and off unnecessary therapy—much faster. The results are changing healthcare: length of stay for patients, along with healthcare costs, are going down. In addition to expediting patient care:
- The T2Candida Panel is extremely accurate with a proven sensitivity of over 90%, while blood culture is only 50% in comparison.4,5
- The specificity of the T2Candida Panel is over 99%, so doctors can have confidence in a negative result.4
In cases where doctors had no actionable information on which to base their decisions, T2MR technology is now enabling the lab and physicians to partner to provide more targeted treatment.
The rapid and accurate T2 results are critical weapons in the hospital’s fight against antimicrobial resistance:
- T2 results reduce the overuse of antimicrobial therapies by getting doctors and hospitals specific pathogen identification information faster than ever before. Positive results enable targeted treatment, and negative results may allow physicians to limit or eliminate the use of unnecessary drugs.
This responsible stewardship combats drug resistance and superbugs, helping ensure these crucial treatments are available for generations to come.
What’s next? The T2Bacteria Panel
Our next panel, T2Bacteria is CE-marked in Europe and the T2Bacteria RUO Panel is currently available for Research Use Only in the US.
Thanks to the aggressive efforts of clinicians and hospitals, about 60% of symptomatic patients now receive the appropriate antimicrobial therapy within a 24-hour window. But the limitations of current diagnostic technology leaves about 40% of patients waiting too long for the right diagnosis and treatment. Help is on the way:
- With T2 tests for Candida and key bacterial species, combined with the standard of care for the management of sepsis patients, hospitals will be able to treat 95% of patients appropriately within the first 12 hours of the critical care window.
- Other ongoing development efforts in our pipeline include bacterial resistance panels and a hemostasis diagnostic, as well as Lyme disease panel through a partnership with Canon U.S.A.
Why does it matter that T2 tests can be done from whole blood; that is, without blood culture?
T2’s no-blood-culture-required approach to sepsis pathogen detection means hospitals get results in hours, not days. When research tells us the mortality rate for sepsis rises by 8% every hour,6 waiting days for results is just not good enough.
And because T2 products do not require the growth of cells like blood culture tests, over 90% of infections are detected—instead of the 50% to 65% detection rate for blood culture.7 Hospitals know that delivering the appropriate care for sepsis in less than 24 hours, and ideally 12 hours, is critical for their patients.
T2 Biosystems’ use of T2MR technology to help get patients on the right treatment faster has led to multiple recognitions including:
- Receiving the prestigious Prix Galien USA Best Medical Technology award in 2015.
- Named among the 50 Smartest Companies of 2016 by MIT Technology Review.
- Recognition of CEO John McDonough as #8 Most Creative Person by Fast Company in 2016.
- Ranked #2 Fastest Growing Public Company in Massachusetts by the Boston Business Journal in 2017.
In addition, various industry leaders continue to validate the game-changing power of T2MR technology by entering into strategic alliances with T2 Biosystems. In 2016, T2 Biosystems announced partnerships with Canon U.S.A., Allergan and Bayer.
About our name
T2 refers to the measurement of the reaction of water molecules in the presence of magnetic fields. This is what our T2MR technology measures and is the source of the T2 Biosystems name.