Check out our latest #whitepaper containing clinical trial data, real-world evidence, and example algorithms that detail how T2Candida can be incorporated into practice and improve care for invasive candidiasis in your own practice.
- March 31, 2023
Today, sepsis management has become a key concern for hospital executives. Sepsis is responsible for nearly half of all hospital deaths in the United States. It is the number one inpatient hospital expense, with costs tripling over the last decade to $27 billion.1,2 And the problem is growing – it is now one of the top 5 causes of hospitalization in age groups over 18.2*‡
Reduction in mortality and morbidity for patients
Adherence to national regulatory and legal standards
Shortened lengths of stay, reduction in readmissions, and improved patient flow
Better management of variable hospital costs, including pharmacy supplies, lab testing, and blood culture bottles
Reduction in rates of C. diff
Defense against drug resistance pathogens at the facility3
Drug resistance is becoming an increasing concern among infectious disease specialists. The Journal of Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology published a November 2018 letter to the editor by Burnham JP and colleagues, that the true burden of deaths due to multidrug-resistant organisms (MDRO) is much higher than reported by the CDC, which estimates 23,000 deaths per year. In this publication, investigators cite a low-end figure of 153,113 deaths due to MDRO’s, a number that is almost 7-fold higher than CDC estimates.4,5,6,7
The key to sepsis management is time to effective therapy. Faster targeted treatment means shorter lengths of stay, reductions in ineffective therapy, and better survival rates.
T2Direct Diagnostics can improve sepsis protocols. It is the first and only FDA-cleared system to identify deadly sepsis-causing pathogens directly from whole blood without the need to wait for blood culture. The T2Bacteria® and T2Candida® Panels deliver faster, easier, and more accurate test results in 3 to 5 hours, getting patients on the right treatment earlier and positively impacting patient care and hospital costs.
Henry Ford Health System and Lee Health demonstrated faster-targeted therapy by 44 hours and 28 hours respectively for patients with sepsis-causing bloodstream infections.4,5
Henry Ford and Lee Health also reported a reduced overall length of stay by 4 days and 7 days, respectively.6,7
The accuracy of T2Direct Diagnostics gives clinicians the confidence to de-escalate unnecessary antimicrobials drugs. Huntsville Hospital (case study) reported pharmacy savings that more than covered the cost of testing all patients with T2Direct Diagnostics.8
* Current data suggest that the true burden of deaths due to multidrug-resistant organisms (MDROs) is much higher than previously reported, with 153,113 to 162,044 U.S. deaths in 2010 attributed to MDROs, a number that is more than 6 times higher than previous CDC estimates.9
‡ Read T2 Biosystems CEO John McDonough’s overview on sepsis management today.
Connect us with your VP of Quality Assurance!
1. Torio CM and Moore BJ. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project, 2016
2. McDermott KW, et al. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project, 2017
3. Spellberg B, et al. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, 2016
4. Wilson NM, et al. Journal of Antimicrobial Stewardship, 2017
5. Patch ME, et al. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 2018
6. Wilson NM, et al. Poster Presentation, IDWeek 2016
7. Estrada, SJ. Real World Value of T2Candida. Slide Presentation, ASM Microbe 2016
8. Kateon H, et al. IDWeek, 2016
9. Burnham JP, et al. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology, 2018
FDA-cleared, direct-from-blood diagnostic tools:
Over 200 studies published in peer-reviewed journals have featured T2MR in a breadth of applications